What must I do?
What must I do to inherit eternal life?
"Be a nice person?"
The man responds, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, all your soul, and love your neighbor as yourself." To which Jesus responds, "You have answered rightly." (Luke 10:27-28) Jesus answers elsewhere, "Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life." (John 6: 53-54) Again he answers, "Unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3) On a few occasions Jesus says that we cannot receive mercy unless we are merciful. (Matthew 18:35, Matthew 6:12) John writes, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16) The good thief on the cross is promised paradise after he tells Jesus, "Remember me when you come into your kingdom." (Luke 23:42)
There is more to the Christian life than what is necessary. There is more to the Christian life than the minimum. God's love is so great and so big. God's love is transforming. God's love is real and experiential. When we know God's love we don't do the minimum, we come to Church because we have faith and because we have love. We love our neighbor because there is nothing else and nothing less we can do. We receive the Eucharist and baptism because the Sacrament Mysteries are the primary way Jesus shares his love with us on Earth.
- Camping trip Saturday, September 29th, and Sunday, September 30th. We have tents, come for all or part.
- House of Bread volunteering 9 am - 2 pm Wednesday, September 12.
- Parish improvement feedback. What can we do better? Please anonymously write your comments and turn them in over the next few weeks.
- St. Vincent dePaul First Saturday of Every month 6:30 pm- 8 pm serving meal at men's Gettysburg shelter 1921 S Gettysburg Ave, Dayton, OH 45417. - Special festival thank you September 8th after both liturgies. - Ladies' Sodality Prayer Group Wednesday, September 19 6 pm with liturgy and a focus on forgiveness.
-Pastoral Council Meeting Tuesday, September 18th 7pm. - Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross Friday, September 14 7pm vigil liturgy. - Maronite Young Adult Convention in Washington, DC October 5-7. - Bishop Elias visit Friday through Sunday December 7-9. With meet and greet, spiritual talk, liturgies, Saturday Night Dinner, and raffle.
- Initiatives- To what is God calling you? What are your hopes, dreams, and ideas for our parish? What do you want to do? Mission, charity, prayers, work, fundraisers, or maintenance? How can we support you?