9th Week of Pentecost
St. Ignatius of Antioch 9th Week of Pentecost July 8, 2018
This week I went to the convention for the National Apostolate of Maronites in Houston, Texas. The convention is from Monday to Sunday and includes liturgies with Bishop Elias and Bishop Gregory, talks on evangelization, marriage, and Maronite identity, opportunities for confession, community living, and shared meals. Several of the priests would get together to watch soccer. The World Cup is a beautiful event because of its ability to unite people and to encourage physical exercise. However, in the words of Bishop Elias, "the world cup does not supercede The Cup of the world," or the Cup and the Word. The most important cup in the world, is the cup which is not only for uniting, but for Communion, the Eucharistic cup. Soccer is not more important than God's love. Join us at 9 am liturgy, watch the end of the game with us at noon, or participate in an evening mass at one of the local churches (masstimes.org). We need you, because in the World Cup we are spectators but in the liturgy you are an important "player".
- Summer camp for kids (Registration Required): July 30th-Aug 3rd from 9:30am-2:30pm. Registration forms will be available in church or by email (upon request). Kindly fill and submit the registration form by July 22nd, 2018.
- Volunteers needed for the kids summer camp, volunteer all or part.
-Initiatives- To what is God calling you? What are your hopes, dreams, and ideas for our parish? What do you want to do? Mission, charity, prayers, work, fundraisers, or maintenance? How can we support you?
- Veneration and welcome of the relics of St. Sharbel Sunday, July 22 and Monday, July 23 7pm.
- Free college level Syriac course. July 16 - Aug 3 Monday - Friday 6 - 9 pm. email@example.com or 937-428-0372 for more information. Syriac, the most widely written dialect of Aramaic, is a language of great theological importance, both as the language of study to read 10 Aramaic chapters of the Old Testament and as the theological and liturgical language of the Maronite, Syriac, Malankara, and Malabara Churches as well as Eddesan and Antiochian Christianity. Syriac unlocks some of the most profound poetry of the Christian tradition.
- Parish Council meeting Tuesday, July 17, 7 pm.
- Our condolences to the family of John Elias Dagher brother of parishioner, Malik Dagher. 40 day Liturgy will be offered for John Elias Dagher at 11 am on July 29. May he rest in peace.
- Join us in praying for Hoda Abou Jaude, mother of Hilda Abou Jaude on July 29 at 11 am Liturgy on the one year anniversary. May she rest in peace.
- Anyone interested in a attending a minor league baseball game? Let's go watch the Dayton Dragons- July 30th 7pm. $10 includes a hat and $5 goes to support a good cause.
- We have a great opportunity for our $15,000 matching grant, we are are at $2300 and can accept donations of $250 or more. The donations can go towards naming rights for any part of our building project.
- House of Bread Monday, July 23 9-2:30 pm.
- St. Vincent de Paul 1st Saturday of every month 6:30 pm at Men's shelter on Gettysburg.
- Pilgrimage trip to Our Lady of Lebanon Shrine and Basilica August 15. The approximate Schedule will be 12:30 pm until 1am.
- We are 50 days away from hosting The Greater Dayton Lebanese Festival. Sign up sheet will be available in the hall. With 250 volunteers, we only need to volunteer 3 hours each the weekend of the festival. With 125 volunteers, we only need to volunteer 6 hours each the weekend of the festival. We also need to volunteer for the preparation of the festival.
- We are exploring the idea of English classes. Anyone interested in teaching or taking the class please let Fr. Alex know.
- Please turn in your pledges. Fr. Alex will begin calling this week to ask for pledges. Design meetings will begin soon. The majority of votes have been for building a $600,000 to $700,000 project on the property to include new church, parking, and upgraded to kitchen and hall. However, we are still short on firm commitments of pledges.We are at $1250 in committed monthly pledges with an additional $500-$1000 in soft pledges, "Father, you know we will pledge." There is much reason for optimism.
- Church-wide garage sale small fundraiser. Tentative date August 18, 8am -3 pm under the tent. We will collect furniture and household donations to sell to benefit the Church. Coordinators and volunteers needed for pricing and selling.
-Syriac class Monday-Friday 6-9 pm
- Bar Louis meet up Tuesday 8pm
- Children's Arabic class Saturday 10 am
- Adult Arabic class Saturday 11am
- Bible Study Sunday 10am
- English class this Wednesday from 7-9 pm.